Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Monday, March 5, 2007

Running...to the walk??

So this weekend, I was on a team of walkers for the 2007 Heart-Stroke Walk. It was a nice morning for a walk and the outlook was good. I left my house with plenty of time to get there. I knew there would be quite a crowd. On I-17, I felt I had to pee, but it was not a severe case of "I gotta go now", so no big deal. I didn't want to make myself late for the walk, and there wasn't too much traffic, so I wasn't worried about it. Then, 1 mile before my exit to the Loop 202, traffic stopped. I sat there for 20 minutes waiting to go just 1 more mile. Then, I really had to pee. So I get on the Loop 202 without incident (finally!), and I am stuck behind a truck hauling port-a-potties. This is a very cruel world, I think to myself. I passed the truck and then as I get to my exit for Rural Rd., I notice the exit ramp is CLOSED!!! It is closed due to the walk I am trying to get to! So, I continue on the 202 to the McClintock exit, circle around to Rio Salado Pkwy, which is shut down at Mill Ave., (again: for the walk). So I take Mill Avenue which is always a cluster-fuck…even at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday. I finally get a parking spot in a public lot on Ash Ave. just beyond the US Airways garage (which was full). Now, we are at Situation Critical and Code Red! I really have to go! So, I start running. I stopped briefly to consider the port-a-potty on Ash Ave at a construction site and kept running. You never know what those construction site potties will smell like. I was turning the corner from Ash onto Rio Salado when my phone rang. It was Bev, my favorite Brit! "Where are you?" she asks. "I am running down Rio Salado Parkway" I reply. She asks why I'm running, and I tell her, "Because I have to pee!" I finally made it to the walk, found a short line for a bathroom, and then caught up with the group on the walk. Now, please understand, I am in no way, shape or form, a runner! My body was not built for running. Top heavy women should not run - ever! I walked the 3.1 miles after running about a 1/2 mile, and Saturday night I was so sore I could not sit still. My legs ached constantly. The only relief I had was moving them. I was squirming around in pain all night. Big D and Kramer thought this was hysterical! But they would have laughed even harder if I told them that the under-wire from my bra must have been bouncing against my rib cage pretty violently while I was running, because I am bruised there now. And that is really sore! I have learned a few lessons here: 1. Do not take I-17, take I-10 instead 2. Do not drink 3 cups of coffee before driving to Tempe 3. Do not pass up a chance to stop and use the restroom - even if it will make you late! Unfortunately, today I am still sore. Hopefully my ibuprofen will kick in soon.

No comments: