Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Constitutional Carry Law Is Signed By AZ Governor

In case you didn't hear about it, Arizona has just passed the Constitutional Carry law. What is that, you ask? That is essentially the right to keep and bear arms as the 2nd amendment intended.

Here are a few blurbs from the announcement on the acmc list I'm on:

"Arizona now becomes the third state to not require written permission from the government for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to bear arms discretely. Because Arizona is the first state in the U.S. with a large urban population to take this significant step, this is a watershed moment for the entire country."

"If you don't have a permit, don't start carrying concealed just yet. The law won't become effective until 90 days after "Sine Die" when the Legislature officially adjourns. Since they are still working through a slew of bills, we don't expect Sine Die anytime soon. In past years, the effective date of bills has been around September."

"CCW permits still have a purpose. You'll need one to streamline gun purchases, to carry in states that honor Arizona permits and for carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol. And, the training you receive to obtain a permit is an added bonus. Along with restoring your right to bear arms, SB 1108 added additional training opportunities for obtaining a permit. NRA classes and training from places like Front Sight
and Gunsite will be able to qualify as permit training."

"If you decide not to obtain a CCW permit, that doesn't mean you shouldn't train. The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it. Take that money that you save on permit and renewal fees and spend it on quality training as often as you can. Lead by example - the world is watching."

Now, surprising as it may seem, this has been a hot issue here in the Valley of the Sun. Some people think it's a bad idea. I've heard people say this will make it easier for criminals to get weapons. Really? Criminals are not going to the local arms shop or gun show to buy their weapons. This law has no effect on how criminals obtain guns. You still must pass a federal background check in order to purchase a gun - that did not change. You just don't need special permission from the state to carry the gun concealed.

I have also heard some folks talk about what a danger this will be for LEOs. Um, not so much. Again, I know lots of people who carry concealed weapons, and people who open carry; none of them are a danger to LEOs now. They still won't be. One more time: this law has no effect on how criminals obtain guns.

I am personally tickled pink that this law has passed. Some may think this is taking a step backward to "The Wild West", but perhaps it's a step forward.

18 comments:

Learning to Golf said...

So, do you want to car-jack me? Remember this is Arizona and your second thought should be, "Do I feel lucky today?"

Well, do you expect me to miss your sorry ass 15 times in rapid succession? If you do, your luck just ran out.

Anonymous said...

Think this is a good thing. Back ground checks are still required as I understand and that is also a good thing, unless you have a warrent. LOL

Ann said...

Paul: you rock.

Anon: Yes they are still required, and yes that is a good thing.

mq01 said...

bravo to AZ! i support it. now if only CA would get their heads out of their asses... :)

FLHX_Dave said...

OH! OH! I have story after story as to why this is a great thing.

Salinas is pretty much now murder capitol of the country. Reason? Because only the criminals have the weapons. None of the rest of us can carry and they know it. (Personally I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.) Today a 10 year old girl was killed by gang related crossfire in a park here. Two weeks ago same thing with a 1 year old. Doesn't that just make your head explode!

Now, any fucker out there who thinks this is a bad idea has not a clue in my opinion. If these punk ass gang bangers knew that everyone around them could be potentially armed and ready to defend themselves, they might think twice before doing something stupid.

It's about time. Criminals target those who they percieve as victims and if they can't tell who is a victim and who is not...well, it just might save some people.

Studies have shown that crime rates DRASTICLY DROP in towns and states that offer it's citizens the right to carry weapons.

I'm damned sick and tired of being forced by laws to be a victim...whew, sorry...I'm moving out there! hell yeah! The more and learn about AZ the more I want to leave Californication.

FLHX_Dave said...

As far as the LEO's? "Hmmmm....It makes a whole lotta' sense to protect a handful of people, who already carry an arsenal, and let the masses fend for themselves!"

All for the greater good. Screw that man! ok...ok...Now I'll shut up.

Willy D said...

AZ’s new CCW law is a crock of crap. Whoa! Say what? That’s right I said it. I don’t care what State tells me I can / cannot carry. The U.S. Constitution says I have the Right. Any State law means shit. But if 47 more States would follow, I wouldn’t complain. Would ‘I’ ever carry? Let me say this; I carry a copy of our Constitution at all times.

Webster World said...

We have CCW's here.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!

Lil' Wicked One said...

It's just leveling the playing field, that's all. Smartest thing AZ government has done yet.

Dean "D-Day" said...

I'm with Willy. It's a crock.

The problem with laws like this is that it gives the government the idea that THEY'VE given us the right instead of the Constitution. Conversely, it also gives them the idea that they can take it away when they want. Not to mention, it gives them a list of who to visit when it comes time to take away your guns. Sorry to rain on the parade but I've seen too much goofy shit over the past handful of years to trust the government.

Thomas Jefferson said it best...
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Willy D said...

Well put Dean. That leads into Jefferson penning in The Declaration of Independence the words; “That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,”.

Jen said...

Of course it is a control thing....line up, get your permit...now all the sheep will be carrying guns (along with their pocket constitutions).

I don't know if anarchy + guns = better, but it sure does = more freedom :)

IHG said...

I think I'm going to have a party...I'll be serving tea! Hope you can join me!

Unknown said...

I just got my concealed weapons permit, not because I wanted to carry a gun today but because I wanted to be able to when the day came, if the day came. The way things were going, I was afraid they would stop issuing them!

Looks like people will have to think twice about messin with a person in Arizona!

WooleyBugger said...

(Ahhh, your just a bunch of gun toting morons.)
Thats what the Media will be saying. They'll be going for that one angle that shows one idiot over and over and try to pass it off as everyone who believes in the gun carry law is stupid and inept.
Sort of like that Hollister thing.

Nah, not me because I think it is great that Arizona is going forward where the Fed has stepped backwards.

Kennesaw Georgia has a law since 1980 something that required citizens to have a gun to reduce crime in their town. Two decades later and their crime level is low while other areas it rose.
You can check on it under gun law Kennesaw Georgia. I thought it was great when I lived there - in Georgia - and still do think it's great.
But media has tried different angles to explain the low crime rate but what they miss is that the crime level in two decades has not risen to the same levels as other areas.

Radu Prisacaru, UK Internet Marketer & Web Developer said...

A round of applause for your article post. Thanks Again. Keep writing.

Kathleen Jennette said...

Is a Constitutional Law that I have a right to bear arms... period.