Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

My All-Expenses Paid Tropical Staycation??

Yeah, you read it right: staycation. I first heard this word on the news a few nights ago and decided to Google it. (Yes, the job search is going badly.) Over at Urban Dictionary, it's defined as follows: 1. staycation: A vacation that is spent at one's home enjoying all that home and one's home environs have to offer. 2. staycation: A vacation spent close to home. With the price of gas soaring, a staycation is what most Americans will experience during the summer of 2008. I couldn't agree more with #2. My staycation (if I should decide to take one) will consist of waking up at 4:00 am, because Big D still has to get up for work, having a cup of coffee with him, going back to sleep until 6:00 am, then doing some laundry, and light housekeeping. Probably unloading the dishwasher, and making the bed. Then after breakfast, I will lounge by the pool until 10:00 am, at which time the heat will become unbearable. The rest of my day will consist of playing games with Vicki (inside, of course), making lunch for us, maybe a nice afternoon nap, and then making dinner. There will be no gambling, no beach, no tours, none of that stuff, as the economy and my wallet will not allow it. If I am still on the hunt for a job, there will be at least 6 hours/day of looking for a job and following-up on leads and/or jobs I've applied for. No long walks anywhere, as it's too damned hot. I could expound on this subject for a while, but I will spare you. The only glimmer of hope is this: my Harley is now paid for. Can I get a hallelujah?! By the time it cools down (in October or November) it should be finished, I should have my license and be ready to terrorize my neighborhood! :) Maybe that's when I'll take my staycation!

11 comments:

Big Daddy said...

That's my girl.......A job will come. It will be just in the nick of time, like always.

Love,
Big D

Jenn Ann said...

I plan to take a 4 day staycation next week! Good luck with the job hunt!

Lady R (Di) said...

Halleluja sister! Here's to no loan payment! I hope the job search brings you some good results soon! I'll be praying for ya! For now, take advantage of the time off!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Halleluja, Amen, and all that other stuff!

At least the bike is paid for, and it doesn't burn as much gas as a car!

B.B. said...

Sorry to hear the job search isn't going well. But I am very happy for you that your Harley is paid off. :)

Queen B said...

Yay for Harley payoff! My husband's bike is getting paid off next month (4 year loan, can't believe it's finally ending!), so I understand.

And... since my husband is not doing the army thing, he's having a nice staycation here in Texas. Y'all are on parallel tracks apparently :)

Jinjer said...

I love this word and am officially adding it to my favorite words list!!!

Andrea said...

I love the staycation... I only wish more people would understand it. When I take a staycation it always kills me when I get back tot he office and people ask "so where'd you go?" and then give me that look like I just grew a second head when I tell them that I didn't do anything but veg on the couch and read or quilt...

"Joker" said...

I hear you - my wife's not having any luck on the job hunt either, and with me on disability that's making things tight. We'll be doing the staycation ourselves, but at least I have the house and yard for it.

I have a nice big deck out back and one of those "white-trash" inflatable ring pools I set up for the kids. I make fun of it, but it's actually really great for short money. A pain in the ass to set up and take down mind you, but the kids love it. It takes a whole day to fill the damned thing and it even needs a filter and pump!

It's amazing though how much having a pool makes the kids happy to be at home, and that takes a lot of pressure off of me because they have something to do.

I get a kick out of the idea of looking forward to the fall as the start of riding season! When I start my bitch posts about the season being over, you'll be laughing all the way!

Ann said...

Joker: You're damned right I'll be laughing at ya! You should come out in the winter and ride with us! :)

Veronnica said...

As with most things, something really good will come along when you least expect it! Glad the bike is paid for. Mine will be on hold for a bit now with the hot tub so while you are out riding, I'll be soaking under the stars in the backyard!