Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Roller-Skating with Vicki

So, I agreed to take Vicki roller-skating last night. It was a school event from 6:00 - 8:30. I don't know what came over me. I guess I got nostalgic for the old days when I used to roller-skate every weekend. That was many years ago. We got to the rink and got our skates on without incident. I felt pretty confident and Vicki was doing pretty well, too. We were skating on the carpet to the actual skating floor, and Vicki stopped at the water fountain for a drink. I was going to stop and wait for her, but I lost my balance and fell right on my tailbone. That carpeting is not the best surface to skate on! Luckily, I wasn't going at warp speed, so I quickly picked myself up and we got on the skating floor. The first few times around, Vicki insisted on holding my hand, even though she didn't really need it. We had fun. We were laughing, and she was telling me about one of the boys in her class that kept skating by us and smiling at Vicki. Every time he went by, she would giggle and look at me. It was cute. We stopped for a rest when they played "Shoot the Duck". Do any of you roller-skaters remember that? For those of you that do not: You have to skate around normally and when the DJ says "Shoot" you have to bend at the kneeand roll on one skate while holding the other leg straight out in front of you, all while continuing to roll. I used to do it, back in the day. That was before all my knee injuries. So, we sat it out. When they opened the skating floor again, Vicki just up and skated off without me. She did wave to me as she was skating away, which made me feel better. She skated on her own for the rest of the night, and she did really well. She said she only fell one time, but I didn't see it. I continued skating around the floor, and really enjoyed myself. At about 8:00, I took off my skates and got our shoes. Vicki came off the floor, and I could see she was tired. That's a long day for a third-grader. So we got her skates off, with a little bit of effort, and left the rink. We were both dragging ass! Neither of us are used to roller-skating, and it really usurped what little energy we had left after a long day at work and school. When we got home, Big D and Kramer were laughing at me because I told them my story of falling. I sat down to watch TV before bed, and when I crossed my legs, I got a zinger of pain near my tailbone. Apparently, the fall that I thought was 'no big deal' had pinched my sciatic nerve! I haven't had pain like that since I was pregnant - 9 years ago!!! I took some ibuprofen (my drug of choice), and went to bed. This morning, I'm feeling better, and not nearly as sore as I anticipated. But, I am still using the ibuprofen and probably will be for a few more days. Incredibly enough, I've decided that we should try to go skating every Saturday. I think that I burned all the calories I had taken in over the previous 2 days! I'll be in shape for Rex & Deja's wedding in no time at all!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Great that you do things with Vicki.