Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

My New Job

I've had a lot of people asking me about my new job, and I promised to post about it, so here it is. I work for SCF Arizona supporting the Manager of Legal Compliance and Risk Management. I'm sure my niece will be happy to hear that my boss is an attorney. You see, my niece is also an attorney, and when I was out of work, she asked if I had thought about being a paralegal. I then told her that I hated all things legal. :) So now I'm supporting an attorney, but she's really down-to-earth, and very laid back...I love her. But, I digress. Even though I've only been there one week, I am totally loving it. The people are great...and they're all genuinely happy there. When I was interviewing with my boss, I told her that I attend class every Tuesday night, and asked if that would be a problem, to which she said it would not. Then, when I started on Monday, she asked what hours I wanted to work (she's really flexible), and after I told her, she said, "And on Tuesdays you're leaving early for class, right?" Very cool. The benefits are outstanding. We have an on-site fitness center for employees. The health insurance (which starts on October 1st) is better than what I had at the last job, and it's 1/2 the cost, too. They also have some great perks like on-site mammography screenings twice a year (company paid), and health screenings, flu shots, and pnuemonia shots for the whole family each year, also company-paid. And the best part is, I have a free bus pass. Now, you may be questioning why this is the best part. Let me tell you, driving a Buick into downtown Phoenix every day really eats into my budget. And an Express bus pass costs $68/month. So, now, I just drive to the park and ride, hop on the bus, and read my book all the way to work! No stress, free bus pass, only driving my car 11 miles/day and I get some exercise every day, too, as I walk a few blocks from the bus stop to work. It's very funny, and Veronnica will really get this: my boss reminds me of an old boss, Marcie. Marcie was the boss from hell. She hated me on sight...not sure why. But my new boss really looks a lot like her, and I was very afraid. But now that I know she's cool, it's all good. But she totally looks like Marcie. I usually win the bad boss lottery at every job I have. Last year being the worst one in the history of bad bosses! :) In summary, the new job is great, I love my boss, the benefits kick ass, and I'm very happy. Now, I just have to get through school. That's every Tuesday night for the next 3 years. Wish me luck!

13 comments:

FLHX_Dave said...

Awesome! I knew something good was just around the corner for you. Sounds like a great job. I am happy for yah.

Paula said...

Sounds like an awesome find! Good benees are getting hard to find too! So glad that it's paying off for you Ann!!

B.B. said...

Good for you! It sounds like a wonderful job, and you can't beat those perks. I'm very happy for you. You'll do fine with school too. It seems like you're a very determined person and I have no doubt you'll get through it. Especially since you love your job, it just makes everything else easier to deal with.

KFuj said...

Ann- I am so glad you enjoy your new job! It is so nice to hear about it, your beneifts sound great!

Lady R (Di) said...

Good for you! It's nice to know that you'll get supported by your company while you persue more education. They always say, "good things come to those who wait." I guess it's finally your turn!
When Big D gets your bike ready, you'll be using that bus pass less and less. In the mean time, enjoy your stress free commute! Congratulations again on your new job!

Andrea said...

After getting through a job search, school is going to be a piece of cake for you!! Sounds like everything is working out for you and having a free bus pass is the greatest!! Letting somebody else do the driving while I sit and read is something I need to look into doing...

Queen B said...

oh, I am so happy for you. I know that the wait and the interviewing sucks, but it sure worked out. yay!

Jane said...

All great news! Congrats again

"Joker" said...

Sounds great. I'm really glad you did good this time in the jackass boss lottery. In my last job, I had two posers for bosses who were really serious dickheads. Maybe some of your luck will rub off on me when I'm back on my feet again well enough to look for a new job myself. We'll just have to wait and see!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

So nice to hear positive things about your new Job! I'm glad you are lovin it!

LoSpace said...

Good job on the job, the bennies, and the bus pass - yes! After 18 months at 300 W Clarendon even 3 days/week I was ready to chew glass and got a transfer to AJ - now I have the best commute!

Jinjer said...

SO happy you are loving the new job! I knew good things would happen for you!!!

Veronnica said...

I'm so happy you found something, and you found something that you like! Nothing wrong with working for attorneys! I've been doing it for 19 years now! LOL! And you didn't tell me the new boss looked like Marcie! That would be scary in itself - thank God the new one has a personality and seems cool so far!
P.S. I'm jealous of the cafeteria too! As you know the 20+ line at the only cheap place to eat here at the AZ Center is Subway and that was a no-go today!