Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Update

I may have mentioned that I had to give a presentation in class on Tuesday night. I was really worked up about it because I really hate public speaking. Really. Hate. It. So I had to ask the professor about expectations. This is how the conversation went: Me: So, what happens if I get up in front of the class and pass out? Mr. H: Pass out dramatically and I'll give you points. Me: OK, I'll work on that. Well, I'm happy to tell you that I didn't pass out. In fact, I kicked ass...but I only had to speak for 3 minutes. In 5 weeks, I will have to give a presentation and speak for at least 10 minutes. I hope I make it through this school thing. :) I guess it's a good thing I'm not a road whore like some of my blogger friends admit to being! LOL! I will post a slideshow of our visit with Samantha, Rodrigo and baby Jayden this weekend. What a great visit! I was really sad to see them go. I miss rocking my grandson at night. :(

12 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

Public Speaking Sucks

B.B. said...

Whoops, I hit something and think I posted my comment before I was ready. Anyways, LMAO at your convo. with the professor. Congrats on a job well done with your presentaion.
I'm glad you had a good visit with your kids and grandbaby. I can't wait to see the slideshow. I know what you mean about being sad to see them go. After our TN vacation to see my family, I was sad for days and missing my nieces. Hopefully their next visit won't be too far away.

-Connie said...

I'm glad to hear you kicked ass at the presentation!!! I hate public speaking too!!! I can't wait to see the slideshow!!

Dean "D-Day" said...

Glad you didn't have to put your acting abilities to the test. Stop worrying so much. You'll do fine.

Lady R (Di) said...

I never knew if this worked, but they say, just picture your audience naked! Woo Hoo! You go girl!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Yeah, your conversation with the Prof. was F'n hillarious! Too funny.
Good job makin it through!

Queen B said...

great job on not passing out :) You'll do great. LOL at the conversation!

Andrea said...

Wouldn't passing out be dramatic enough? Do you get extra points for knocking your head on something and bleeding?

Glad you rocked the presentation!!

I think all of us have a little fear of public speaking, but I just get up there and act the damn fool and get it over with. The worse, though is when people start asking you questions that you only vaguely know the answers to.

Paula said...

cant wait to see the baby pics. Congrats on doing well on the presentation!

"Joker" said...

Glad you survived the presentation.

It gets easier the more you do it I think if you concentrate on what you have to say instead of the audience. It's a good time to employ the biker attitude of "I don't give two shits what others think of me," and just do what you've gotta do. When I have to get up at a Chapter meeting and speak, I just look to the back of the room and speak. I never focus on any particular person.

That works for me anyway. Good luck with the next one!

FLHX_Dave said...

I second Joker's comment. The biggest factor in screwing up public speaking is wondering what people are thinking about you. I like to take the "You are all little bitches and I'm gonna f' every one of you after this meeting is over" approach. heh, it works.

exude power and people will do one of two things. Follow or challenge. Be up for both.

I have better success when I purposely make eye contact with everyone in the audience at least once. They are less likely to distract others or make stupid faces because they know you are interacting with them rather than talking at them.

Oh shit, you didn't ask for advice! my apologies.

You can rock BigD to sleep. Glad you had a great visit with your beautiful family and congrats on the speech!!!

Jinjer said...

Hate public speaking, congrats on doing well!!