Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Friday, July 20, 2007

It's Friday!

Have you ever noticed when you ask someone how they're doing, the usual answer is, "Fine, thanks." Or it could be, "Great, how are you?" I have even experienced the, "Don't ask" response. But not on a Friday! Oh, no! Ask this innocent question on a Friday and you get the same answer every time: "It's Friday!" Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I didn't ask what day it was. In fact, I'm positive. I know what day it is. That's why we're all smiling! It doesn't matter what time of day it is; if you're asking on a Friday, that is the answer you'll get. This phenomenon is unique to Fridays, too, by the way. Nobody answers the question with, "It's Wednesday!" Poor Wednesday! Wednesday never did anything to hurt anyone except happen in the middle of the week! It seems to me that the question we should ask is not, "How are you?" If you don't want the standard answer of, "It's Friday" you need to be proactive: "Happy Friday! How are you?" Now people know that you are in the know about what day of the week it is. They will not need to announce that it's Friday, and if they did, it would sound pretty silly. Me: Happy Friday! How are you? Unsuspecting Person: Um, it's Friday? Me: That's why I said Happy Friday. US: Oh. Happy Friday, then, I guess. Yes, people will probably think that I'm some kind of raving lunatic running around saying Happy Friday, but since when have I ever cared what people think?? Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: