Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Attention Kmart Shoppers!

Today's post is a public service announcement to all Kmart shoppers. I bought Vicki a bicycle for Christmas at Kmart. I also bought the replacement plan for $7.99. Last week, one of the pedals broke. She's been riding it without the plastic part of the pedal, so basically it's just a metal spike. This has caused some bruising. I called the number on the replacement plan on Saturday. Once I got through the numbers game (i.e., press 1 for English), I spoke to the most sincere customer service rep. that I have ever spoken with. After we established who I was, what I bought, and what the issue was, the conversation went like this: Me: So, is this covered? CSR: Yes, pedals are definitely covered. I'm going to send you a return label via email, and you can send a copy of the receipt and a copy of the replacement plan, and a note stating that it is not feasible to send the bike as it is too large. Then we will send you a gift card for the price of the bike plus sales tax. Me: Where do I return the bike? CSR: You don't. Me: Really? So, I keep the bike with the broken pedal, and you send me a gift card for a replacement bike? And that's it? CSR: That's it. Me: Really??! CSR: (laughing) Really! My guess is that they get the same reaction from others, because she was laughing at me. She said they don't deal with parts, and it's easier to just replace the whole bike. I just thought this was great! So the lesson here is, if you're making a purchase at Kmart, buy the replacement plan! It's worth it!

11 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

Geez, Babies R Us needs a lesson from KMART. Who Knew?

Mike said...

Well that is fantastic. So now all you have to do is fix the old bike and you have two of them.

I wish they would do that with my truck when something breaks.

Paula said...

I'm still shocked that the replacement plan was only $7.99!!! It's usually atleast 75% of the price of whatever is being covered!!

Great deal!

Jenn Ann said...

Impressive!

Jinjer said...

That's awesome! Usually the CSR's aren't nice and the replacement plans always have "fine print." Glad it worked out so well!!

Veronnica said...

whooohooo a free bike! i'll have to borrow it next time i'm over there drunk and need a ride home! lol!

Ann said...

Yup, from now on I'm a true Kmart shopper! AND I'm getting a new bicycle for me! I'll be sure to buy the replacement plan, too! :o)

Unknown said...

Is the gift card for a free bicycle or for the original purchase price in store credit?

Ann said...

MikeT: The gift card is for the original purchase price plus tax.

Simply Curious said...

U can vouch for this, I had my Nintendo DS replaced. Kmart and Walmart are both awesome. Walmart will take anything back; replacement plan or not. Shit, they'll even take back a half-eaten Snickers bar.

Simply Curious said...

I meant *I*

p.s. I have something for Big Daddy and I cantt find your address in a sea of emails. Pretty please, send it one more time. Thanks.