Words to Live By

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Buyer Beware: Nationwide Vision - Updated

I took Vicki for her annual eye exam yesterday afternoon. We went to Nationwide Vision, and now I'm not sure why. Convenience isn't always so. They were very busy to begin with, and gave me a song and dance about being short a few people. (I don't really care why you're this busy, just don't make me wait too long!) So we waited a fair amount of time, and they did the preliminary exam with a tech. No issue there. Then we waited some more time, and the Dr. examined her. Let me just say that the Dr. was GREAT. He was wonderful with Vicki and a very sweet man. Now comes the fun: picking out frames. Have you ever picked out eyeglass frames with a 9-year-old girl? I don't recommend it unless you have Valium with you. Anyway, she finally decided on the frames she hated the least, and we were asked to wait (yet, again) at a station. Finally, a rude woman came over and started measuring Vicki for her glasses. She then proceeds to tell me that polycarbonate lenses are not covered. Hmmm, I say, I think you're mistaken. She checked, and said they were definitely not covered. Well, with Big D out of work, we don't get extras. So I told her the plastic would be good, all the while knowing that polycarbonate lenses are covered by my plan. So, no scratch coating, no special anything. Then she informs me that I really should get the polycarbonate lenses for Vicki, because if anything happened and something hit the plastic lenses they could shatter and injure her eyes. (Guilt trip, anyone?) I assured her that I thought it would be ok for now. At this juncture, I have reached my boiling point. Keep that in mind. Now the woman hands me a form and asks me to sign it. Here's how it went: Woman: Sign this form. Me: What am I signing? Woman: A form stating that you refused polycarbonate lenses when the doctor recommended them. Me: I'm not signing this form. Woman: (asking another associate what to do if I won't sign the form) If you don't sign it, we can't fill the order. Me: Okay. (I signed with an 'X'. Yes, I was bitchy at this point.) She didn't even look at the form. Her loss. So I was really not happy with the service and all the way home it bugged me about the coverage. I called when I got home and they were already closed. So I left a message asking them to hold on to the order for her glasses until I reached my insurance provider to confirm coverage. I didn't want to use up her once-a-year benefit for glasses on the crap they had me order. (No, I didn't exactly word it like that, but close.) Poor Big D said I came into the house like a whirlwind last night, and he didn't know why, but he stayed out of the way until I got off the phone. He's so intuitive! Fast forward to this morning. Superior Vision has assured me, and sent me confirmation that polycarbonate lenses, scratch coating, and UV coating are all FULLY COVERED. So, I call Nationwide, and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes (I'm seeing a trend, here) they tell me that they need to call Superior and will call me back. That's as far as the story goes for now. But I promise to update with the outcome. I just wanted to warn all of you to stay away from Nationwide Vision. Especially the one in Peoria, AZ. But, more importantly, all of them, because I have heard some horror stories about them today. Why couldn't I have heard them yesterday? Update: I just heard back from Nationwide Vision. They called Superior, and it turns out I was right, "and we're so sorry for the inconvenience, we had a lot of people here yesterday that don't normally work at this location." So, I guess that means that 'this' location is good, but the other ones all suck. I didn't say this, but wanted to. So, in the end, Vicki is getting glasses with polycarbonate lenses, scratch coating, UV coating, and transitions; all at no cost to me. Now that she has to wear her specs all the time, I figured the transitions lenses would be great. She's going to be surprised! :o)

6 comments:

Jinjer said...

Geeze what a run-around huh? I swear, customer service in the world these days is gone! It is absurd! Glad you got it all worked out!

Kim Thomas said...

While half way through this I turn to David (who wears glasses) and say "I certainly hope Sydney won't need glasses, if she does, it's your fault"

Queen B said...

LOL, Kim! Chris will say the same thing to me, at some point, I'm sure, since he's Mr. 20/20. I, on the other hand, have been the 9 year old picking out least hated frames :(

Glad things got sorted out, but what a pain! And how is your insurance coverage different depending on which location they're working?! whatever...

Jane said...

Great news! ONe word of caution. Be careful with the transition lens when taking family pictures. Seems my mom and brother in law are always caught with dark eyes.

Ann said...

Jane: Thanks for the caution, however, I don't see Vicki wearing the dreaded glasses for ANY pictures. I'll try to sneak one for the blog, though! :o)

Veronnica said...

Oooh can't wait for the pics of Vicki in her new specs!